Middleton HallEdit profile
This article is about the historic house in Warwickshire; for the house in Carmarthenshire see the National Botanic Garden of Wales, and for the exhibition space of the same name see Central Milton Keynes Shopping Centre. For the country house in Derbyshire see Middleton Hall, Stoney Middleton Middleton Hall ( grid reference SP193982 ) is a Grade II listed building dating back to medieval times. It is situated in the North Warwickshire district of the county of Warwickshire in England, south of Fazeley and Tamworth and on the opposite side of the A4091 road to Middleton village. The Manor of Middleton was held by the de Frevilles until 1418 and came to the Willoughbys by virtue of the marriage of heiress Margaret de Freville to Sir Hugh Willoughby. The Willoughbys had extensive estates in Nottinghamshire and elsewhere, their principal seat being Wollaton Hall, Nottingham. In the mid 17th century the hall was home to Francis Willughby the famed mathematician and naturalist (and John Ray) and his descendants holding the title Baron Middleton. The Georgian West Wing dates from the late 18th century but in 1812 the estates and the Barony passed to Henry Willoughby of the Birdsall, Yorkshire branch of the family and Middleton declined in importance in family terms. The Middleton and Wollaton estates were sold in the 1920s. See under Middleton village for more historical details. The hall was allowed to fall into disrepair over many years and since 1980 is being restored by a charitable trust. Much work has been done on the main hall, walled garden, Tudor barn complex (now craft shops) and a 16th-century jettied building, which was close to collapse before restoration commenced. The surrounding 40 acres (160,000 m²) of land include two walled gardens, the largest man-made lake in Warwickshire and much woodland; plus an area which has been quarried and is now being converted into a nature reserve, RSPB Middleton Lakes.