Middlesex HospitalEdit profile
The Middlesex Hospital was a hospital in the Fitzrovia area of London, England. The first Middlesex Hospital opened in 1745 as the Middlesex Infirmary in Windmill Street, London W1, named after the county of Middlesex. The infirmary started with 18 beds to provide medical treatment for the poor. Funding came from subscriptions and, in 1747, the hospital became the first in England to add 'lying-in' (maternity) beds. The second Middlesex Hospital, in Mortimer Street, was opened in 1757. The foundation stone was laid in 1755 by the hospital's president, the Earl of Northumberland. The Hospital was Incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1836, allowing it various benefits as a charity. Over the years, extra wings were added but, in 1924, it was decided that the building was about to collapse and something had to be done. The Duke of York, later King George VI, visited the Hospital on 26 June 1928 to lay the foundation stone of the new building. He returned to open the new building on 29 May 1935. The hospital had been completely rebuilt, on the same site and in stages, without ever being closed, paid for by more than £1 million of donations from members of the public. The hospital had in the lobby four large paintings entitled "Acts of Mercy" by Frederick Cayley Robinson, commissioned around 1915 and completed in 1920, which were acquired by the Wellcome Collection and were displayed in the National Gallery for a period in 2010. Whilst part of the Bloomsbury Health Authority in the nineteen eighties, the Middlesex Hospital was also associated with: St. Peter's Hospital, Soho (urology); St. Paul's Hospital, Red Lion Square (skin and genito-urinary diseases); Soho Hospital for Women (gynaecological disease); Horton and Banstead hospitals (psychiatric disorders); Athlone House (geriatric care); St. Luke's (Woodside) Hospital (psychiatric disorders). In 1992 the St. Peter's Hospitals were closed down and moved into new accommodation in the Middlesex Hospital, which itself was merged with University College London (UCL) Hospital in 1994. The Middlesex closed in December 2005. The main Hospital building in Mortimer Street was sold to developer Project Abbey (Guernsey) Ltd for £180m which was considerably more than the anticipated sale price due to the property boom; in order to finance the UCL Hospital PFI scheme on Euston Road, and was demolished in the spring of 2008. Some of the peripheral buildings remain, and have been renovated for other uses by UCL or the NHS. The building was used just before it was demolished in the film Eastern Promises . Its name in this film was changed to "Trafalgar Hospital" using an inscription matching the style and apparent age of the old legend above the main door. Candy and Candy failed in plans to redevelop the site into a 273-apartment luxury accommodation complex, named " NoHo Square. The planned redevelopment of the Mortimer Street site passed to the nationalised Icelandic bank Kaupthing Bank and then to other players following the 2007 global financial crisis. Although the former county name " Middlesex" is common to all, there was no working connection between the Middlesex Hospital and the North Middlesex, Central Middlesex and West Middlesex hospitals.