Michigan UnionEdit profile
The Michigan Union is a student union at the University of Michigan. It is located at the intersection of South State Street and South University Avenue in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
The original Michigan Union was designed by architects and University of Michigan alumni, Irving Kane Pond and Allen Bartlit Pond, who also planned the Michigan League building. It was constructed in 1917 on the site of the former Thomas Cooley House. During construction the building was used as a barracks for the Student Army Training Corps. The building was completely renovated in 1994.
The Michigan Union houses restaurants, student organization office space, conference rooms, study areas, and other student resources. The Union is also the location of local elections.
At the front steps of the Union, just above the main entrance, two statues stand on the left and the right. On the left is the athlete, facing towards south campus, home of the athletic fields and Michigan Stadium. To the right is the scholar, looking towards Central and North Campus, home of the student life side of the University of Michigan.
In a speech delivered on the steps of the Michigan Union October 14, 1960 at 2:00 a.m., presidential candidate John F. Kennedy announced his Peace Corps proposal. A plaque at the steps now commemorates the event.