Merchant Venturers Almshouses
Merchant Venturers Almshouses ( grid reference ST587727 ) is a historic building on King Street, Bristol, England. It was built around 1696 by the Society of Merchant Venturers for convalescent and old sailors to see out their days, and still provides sheltered accommodation. It is owned and run by The Society of Merchant Venturers Almshouses Charity, a registered charity under English law. The almshouses were originally built around a quadrangle however bombing and road realignment mean that it is now left with only three sides. It used to be accompanied by the Merchants Hall but this was destroyed in the Bristol Blitz of World War II. The plaque on the wall is a poem: "Freed from all storms the tempest and the rage Of billows, here we spend our age. Our weather beaten vessels here repair And from the Merchants' kind and generous care Find harbour here; no more we put to sea Until we launch into Eternity. And lest our Widows whom we leave behind Should want relief, they too a shelter find. Thus all our anxious cares and sorrows cease Whilst our kind Guardians turn our toils to ease. May they be with an endless Sabbath blest Who have afforded unto us this rest." It has been designated by English Heritage as a grade II* listed building.