Meols Hall
Meols Hall is a historical manor house in Churchtown, Merseyside, dating from the 12th century but largely rebuilt in by Roger Fleetwood-Hesketh in the 1960s.

Meols Hall dates back to the late 12th century, when the manor was granted to Robert de Coudray of Penwortham. The manor has since passed down through marriage and inheritance, and in the 16th century became part of the property of a branch of the Heskeths of Rufford. Much of the old house was demolished in the mid 18th century, reducing the building to its mid 17th century core and a wing dating from c. 1695. Meols Hall was subsequently used as a farmhouse, until the family of Charles Hesketh took residence in 1919. Modest additions were made to the house in 1938, but the main reconstruction work was carried out between 1960-64 by Roger Fleetwood-Hesketh to his own design. This included the three storeyed red brick east front built in the style of Francis Smith of Warwick, and used stonework from Lathom House, rescued as it was about to be dumped in a disused Liverpool dock.

Meols Hall today
Meols Hall has been acclaimed as "one of the most convincing country houses" constructed since World War II, and is a grade II* listed building. The Hall is open to the public for guided tours between 14 August and 14 September annually.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via