McCann Field HouseEdit profile
McCann Field House is a 3,200-seat multi-purpose arena in Poughkeepsie, New York, USA. It was built in 1977 and is home to the Marist College Red Foxes men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball teams. The Field House's namesake is James J. McCann. Born in Poughkeepsie in 1880, he and his family operated the McCann Feed and Grain Store on the city's Main Street, and McCann eventually amassed a large estate through the stock market. In 1967, two years before his death, McCann established the McCann Foundation. Support from his charitable trust made construction of the field house possible. A maple floor was originally donated by former National Basketball Association (NBA) All-Star Rik Smits for use by his alma mater. Following an accidental soaking of the court by a fire sprinkler, Smits re-donated a new court. A display honoring Smits, including an Indiana Pacers jersey, can be found next to the basketball court. This project features enhanced seating along the North baseline and an imposing 19-foot (5.8 m) high student section along the south baseline. The student section and pep band will have seats located less than 6 feet (1.8 m) from the baseline, creating an imposing and loud student section. An additional capital improvement in 2005 included the introduction of a 40-foot (12 m) NBA-style scorer's table. The Northeast Conference men's basketball tournament was held there in 1984 and 1987.