Maximos MansionEdit profile
The Maximos Mansion (Greek: Μέγαρο Μαξίμου) is, as of 1982, the official seat of the Prime Minister of the Hellenic Republic. It is located in downtown Athens, Greece near the Syntagma Square. Although the building shelters the offices of the Head of the Greek Government, it is not used as the residence of the Prime Minister.Location
The Maximos Mansion is located at Irodou Attikou Street 19, next to the Presidential Mansion and the National Garden.History
The building was originally founded in 1912 by shipowner Alexandros Michalinos. At the time the location was used as a potager for the Royal Palace. In 1916, Michalinos' widow, having been married to Dimitrios Maximos, sold the incomplete building to Leonidas Empeirikos, only to re-buy it in 1921. Maximos family completed the building and settled there in the early 1920s. During the German Occupation, the mansion was used as the Residence of the German Admiral of the Aegean Sea. After the war the building was shortly used as the seat of the U.S. Ambassador in Athens. In 1952 Dimitrios Maximos sold the mansion to the Greek State at a favorable price. Consequently the building fell to misuse until 1982, when it was decided by the government to renovate it and use it as the seat of the Prime Minister.