Max Gate is the former home of Thomas Hardy and is located in Dorchester, Dorset, England.
Hardy designed and lived in Max Gate from 1885 until his death in 1928. It was here that he wrote Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Jude the Obscure and The Mayor of Casterbridge, as well as much of his poetry.
Max Gate is now owned by the National Trust. The house contains several pieces of Hardy's furniture, although his study has been relocated to the Dorset County Museum.
Half of the 100m diameter Neolithic interrupted ditch enclosure Flagstones is under the grounds of Max Gate; the other half was archaeologically excavated in 1987 prior to the construction of the Dorchetser bypass.