Matinicus Rock LightEdit profile
Matinicus Rock Light, is a lighthouse in on Matinicus Rock, 18 miles off the coast of Maine. In 1827 the United States Lighthouse Service erected a pair of wooden light towers and a cobblestone keeper's residence on Matinicus Rock. The lights guided sea traffic until 1848 when they were replaced by the granite structure (see picture). In 1857 the Government rebuilt the towers and placed them 180 feet apart to make them more effective. Matinicus Rock Lighthouse is one of eleven seacoast lights off the coast of Maine. Alexander Parris, the architect who designed the lighthouse, designed many stone buildings in New England including the 1825 Quincy Market in Boston, Massachusetts. Matinicus Light is famous for the story of Abbie Burgess, who as a young girl maintained the light for several weeks while her father, the lighthouse keeper, was on the mainland. Winter storms prevented his timely return. Her mother was also very sick. Matinicus Rock is now fully automated. A diesel generator used for power was replaced by solar panels in 2007. Matinicus Rock is known as being the southernmost nesting site for the Atlantic Puffin and as of 2009, the Common Murre. The Audubon Society often has observers on island during nesting season. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Matinicus Rock Light Station on March 14, 1988, reference number 88000149.