Matchroom StadiumEdit profile
Brisbane Road, currently referred to as the Matchroom Stadium for sponsorship purposes and originally known as Osborne Road, is a football stadium in Brisbane Road, Leyton, east London, England. It has been the home ground of Leyton Orient F.C. since 1937, prior to which it was the home of amateur football team Leyton F.C., who moved to the Hare and Hounds ground. The highest attendance at the ground was 34,345 for the visit of West Ham United in the 1964 FA Cup. It has hosted a number of England U-16 and England women’s team matches in the past. In 2008, it hosted the women’s League Cup final. It is also home of the Tottenham Hotspur F.C. reserves.
Brisbane Road has seen several developments in its history, but due to the Second World War the first major improvement was the levelling of a grass bank and crash barrier installation in 1949. The terracing behind the goals was improved again in 1952, 1959 and 1960. In 1956 a small seated stand was dismantled and replaced with a stand from the decrepit Mitcham Stadium, which held 2,600 fans. In 1962, with Leyton Orient gaining promotion to the First Division, another wing was added to the main stand making the seating total 3,500. In 1978 the West Stand was converted into all-seating. In 1996 the terracing at the southern end of the ground was demolished, and used as a car park while Lottery funding to build a stand was (unsuccessfully) sought. The South Stand was eventually built in 1999, and was renamed The Tommy Johnston Stand on 5 September 2008.
The ground is named after Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn's sports promotion company, Matchroom Sport, prior to which it was officially the Leyton Stadium, though fans still refer to it as Brisbane Road. The club registered an interest into moving into the Olympic Stadium following the 2012 Olympics, as the original plan was for this to have a capacity of about 25,000; however, the club's average attendance of about 5,000 meant that this was in no way a probable move. The eventual bids from both West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur to move into the Stadium, with capacity nearer 60,000, effectively ended Orient's interest. Brisbane Road is in very close proximity to both the Olympic Park and also Hackney Marshes.Stands
The West Stand is the new main stand at Brisbane Road and currently seats home supporters only. It has a capacity of 2,918 (also 23 disabled supporters + 23 helpers). The letters L O F C are marked into the seats in black. It is also home to the club's offices, and the club superstore and ticket office are at the back of this stand. There is also a row of executive seating (the Director's Balcony) above the main seating which overhangs the rest of the stand, and the Olympic Suite which offers corporate hospitality. This stand also has premium seating (with its own bar) in its centre, known as the Gallery. It has two refreshment outlets at either end underneath the stand and it is accessed by turnstiles at either end via Oliver Road, or via the main reception for Gallery members and Olympic Suite diners.
The players' changing rooms are also located underneath this stand and players emerge from the tunnel here. The dugouts are also located at the front of this stand after being moved from the opposite East Stand for the start of the 2006-07 season.East Stand
The East Stand, previously the main stand, is the oldest stand at Brisbane Road and is used by both home and away supporters. When an away team is allocated the entire stand for safety or other reasons, Orient fans in the North half of the stand are required to move elsewhere to accommodate the extra away fans. The capacity of the Northern end of this stand is 2,133 and the Southern end is 1,459. There are also executive seats in the middle of the stand (the old directors' box, now known as the Wyvern Suite) but these are not ordinarily used by any supporters.
- East Stand North: 2,133 (also 15 disabled supporters + 15 helpers)
- East Stand South (away): 1,459 (also 7 disabled supporters + 7 helpers)
The recently built North Stand was completed for the start of the 2007-08 season and is currently used as a family stand. It replaces a former open terrace and now has a large block of flats behind the stand. It has a capacity of 1,351 plus provision for 15 disabled supporters and 15 helpers, and has the letters L O F C marked into the seats in black. Access to this stand is by turnstiles at each end of the stand and there are two refreshment outlets located underneath the stand.Tommy Johnston Stand
This stand was built in 1999 and was formerly called the South Stand. It was re-named in 2008 in memory of Leyton Orient's record goalscorer Tommy Johnston. It is currently for home supporters only and has a capacity of 1,336. It has a refreshment outlet and a bar underneath the stand and is accessed through turnstiles from Buckingham Road. It has the word ORIENT marked into the seats in white.Internationals