Marybone ChapelEdit profile
The Marybone Chapel or Marylebone Chapel (originally known as the Oxford Chapel after its founder Edward Harley, 2nd Earl of Oxford and Earl Mortimer, and now known as St Peter's Vere Street) was an Anglican church off Oxford Street, London, designed by James Gibbs in 1722. It was originally intended as a Chapel of Ease to supplement the parish church for the growing parish of Marylebone. It was licensed for marriages from 1722 to 1754 and between 1930 and its deconsecration: Margaret Bentinck (daughter of the 2nd Earl, and Duchess of Portland) married here. Incumbents included the theologian Frederick Maurice (1860”“69), and William Boyce was the chapel's organist from 1734 to 1736. Its interior appears in plate 2 of Hogarth's print series Industry and Idleness . Its ground plan was copied at St Paul's Church, the earliest Anglican church in Canada, and the Holy Ghost plaque in the ceiling at St Thomas's, Stourbridge, is a close copy of that here. It housed the congregation of All Souls Church, Langham Place from 1940 to 1951 whilst the latter was having war damage repaired, and then became a chapel of ease to it. It is now deconsecrated and houses the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity.