Mary Church Terrell HouseEdit profile
Mary Church Terrell House was a home of civil rights leader Mary Church Terrell in Washington, D.C.. Terrell was the first black woman to serve on an American school board, in 1896. She led the fight to integrate eating places in Washington, D.C., at age 86.
Her home in the LeDroit Park section of Washington, DC was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975. The building is a contributing property in the LeDroit Park Historic District. While the home looks as if an adjoining house was once adjacent to it, no house was ever constructed next to it. Her house was built to allow this but it never occurred.Restoration
The house was unoccupied, in a very poor condition and degrading further for many years. Starting in the summer of 2008 a restoration was started supported in part by a grant from the National Park Service Save America's Treasures program. Additional supports include: Howard University, US Department of Housing and Urban Development, DC Office of Planning and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. As of Summer 2009 no additional work has been undertaken.