Markland (also known as the Andrew Anderson House) is a historic mansion in St. Augustine, Florida. Construction on the original part of the coquina shellstone mansion was begun by New York doctor Andrew Anderson Sr. in 1839 just prior to his death in a yellow fever epidemic. Anderson had first arrived in St. Augustine with his wife and two daughters in 1829.
A portion of the land to the east of the house was sold to Henry M. Flagler, by the son of Dr. Anderson, also a doctor; Dr. Andrew Anderson, for construction of the Ponce de León Hotel in 1887. Dr. Anderson died in 1924, the house was purchased by the mayor of St. Augustine, Herbert E. Wolfe who sold it to Flagler College in 1966."
The house is located at 102 King Street, down the street from the hotel which is at 74 King Street. The Markland House, still owned today by Flagler College, was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1978.References and external links
- St. Johns County listings at National Register of Historic Places
- Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- St. Johns County listings at Florida's Office of Cultural and Historical Programs
- Markland House
- Famous Floridians of St. Augustine