Maritime Museum of San DiegoEdit profile
The Maritime Museum of San Diego, established in 1948, preserves one of the largest collections of historic sea vessels in the United States. Located in the San Diego Bay, the centerpiece of the museum's collection is the Star of India, an 1863 iron bark. The museum maintains the MacMullen Library and Research Archives aboard the 1898 ferryboat Berkeley. The museum also publishes the quarterly peer-reviewed journal Mains'l Haul: A Journal of Pacific Maritime History.
The Maritime Museum is located on the west side of North Harbor Drive, between the ends of Ash Street and Grape Street, south of San Diego International Airport.Vessels in the museum's collection
- Star of India, 1863 merchant bark
- Berkeley, 1898 ferryboat from the San Francisco Bay area
- Californian, 1984 replica of 1847 cutter C.W. Lawrence and official tall ship of the state of California
- Medea, 1904 steam yacht that served in both World Wars
- Pilot, 1914 harbor pilot boat
- HMS Surprise, 1970 replica of a Royal Navy frigate used in the movie Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
- B-39, Soviet Foxtrot class submarine
- USS Dolphin, diesel-electric submarine launched in 1968 and decommissioned in 2007
- San Salvador, replica of Juan Cabrillo's galleon which discovered San Diego in 1542.
The Maritime Museum of San Diego is building a full-sized, fully functional, and historically accurate replica of Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo’s flagship, San Salvador. San Salvador will be constructed in full public view (village opening June 24th 2011) at Spanish Landing in San Diego California, giving people the opportunity to watch from a close perspective as an example of the first modern industrial activity in the Americas comes to life in full public view. After construction, San Salvador will remain on exhibit as part of the Museum's fleet of historic and replica ships and will travel along the California coast as an ambassador for San Diego.