Maples Pavilion

Maples Pavilion is a 7,392-seat multi-purpose arena in Stanford, California built in 1968. Maples underwent a $30 million renovation in March 2004, which wrapped up in time for conference play in December of that year. It was named after its principal donor, Roscoe Maples, a member of the 1904 Stanford class.

It is home to multiple Stanford University Cardinal athletics teams, including men's and women's basketball and women's volleyball. Prior to this, Stanford played at Old Pavilion.

The raucous student section that roots for the men's basketball team is called the "6th Man" and it is located in several rows along courtside.

Prior to the renovation, the floor at Maples had a very springy feel to it. Built to minimize injuries to players, it was removed due to the "Missed Stair Effect", a phenomenon that occurs when the body senses where the floor should be upon landing after a jump. With the springy feeling of the floor, often the level would be different than when the player jumped, causing a strange sensation throughout the body.

On October 14th, 2010, the Dalai Lama advocated a secular approach to compassion to a standing room only crowd.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    uwlj maples pavilion
    about 4 years ago via