Mansfield Roller Mill
The Mansfield Roller Mill or Mansfield Mill was a ( gristmill) that was built in 1820 by James Kelsey and Francis Dickson and has always run on water power from Big Racoon Creek. The original mill was a 30-foot (9.1 m) by 30-foot (9.1 m) log building. According to legend, glacial stones from a nearby farm were used for grinding. In the mid-19th century a sash saw mill and a carding mill were added to the grist mill. The mill is a state historic site still in operation. The Mansfield Roller Mill in Parke county in the City of Mansfield, Indiana now runs by water turbine engines.

History
Between 1973 and 1978 Tex Kelly ( Edward Earl Terry (actor)) "The Bad Man of the movies" purchased the Mansfield roller mill and several other buildings and attempt to fulfill his dream of turning the town into Frontier City. His efforts failed and in 1979, Tex and Isabel returned to Tex's hometown of Coxville, Indiana and opened "Tex's Longhorn Tavern". Owners Jack & Shirley Dalton and Frank & Sharon Hutcheson donated the mill to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of State Museums and Historic Sites in 1995. The Mansfield Roller Mill is located at the corner of Mansfield Rd. (historic) and Big Raccoon Creek in Mansfield IN 47872, just southeast of Rockville, Indiana. Mansfield Road (historic) is now called by several names depending on the map date:
  • Country Road-37 (CR-37) (Most maps)
  • Green Castle Road
  • East 700 South


Geographic Coordinates
  • Latitude: 39° 40' 35" N Longitude: 87° 6' 7.99" W
    • Google Map


Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com