Manoogian Mansion
The Manoogian Mansion is the official residence of the mayor of Detroit, Michigan. It is located at 9240 Dwight Street in the Berry Subdivision Historic District, on the city's east side, backing up to the Detroit River. It was built in 1928 for $300,000, but the owner lost the home during the Depression. Masco Company founder Alex Manoogian purchased the home in 1939. In 1966, the Manoogians donated the mansion to the City of Detroit. It was the Armenian immigrant's way of thanking his adopted hometown. (The Michigan Governor's Mansion in Lansing was also privately donated). The Manoogian Mansion has Mediterranean Revival- Spanish Colonial Revival Style architecture with a Mission Revival Style influence including a terra-cotta tile roof. It has approximately 4,000 square feet (370 m 2). The physical layout of the house is dominated by walls of windows - bowed windows, arched windows, leaded windows - that let light stream in and open onto a spectacular view of the grounds and the Detroit River. The downstairs contains three sunrooms facing south and the river. There are 15 rooms in all, including a large living room, library, kitchen and two dining rooms - a formal room and a more casual one that looks toward the river. It has four bedrooms, plus two small bedrooms for servants. There are three full baths, a servants' bath and two half-baths. The Berry Historic Subdivision Historic District has the former homes of several prominent Detroiters including John and Frederic Ford, Arthur Clamage, and John Kay of Wright-Kay Jewelers. Famous architects for the subdivision included John M. Donaldson and Henry J. Meier, A.C Varney, Roland Geis and Robert O. Derrick.

School zoning
Residents are zoned to Detroit Public Schools. The house is zoned to Howe Elementary School, Garvey K-8 School (for middle school), and Southeastern High School.

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via