Manchester Royal Eye HospitalEdit profile
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital is an ophthalmic hospital in Oxford Road, Chorlton on Medlock, Manchester, England, founded in 1814 on the initiative of W. J. Wilson and opened the following year. It is located on the same site as the Manchester Royal Infirmary and St Mary's Hospital for Women and Children. In August 2009 the existing hospital services were moved to a new building on the Royal Infirmary site.
It is a grade II listed building, designed by Pennington & Bridgen, opened in 1886, and was the first of the hospitals to be built in this district. The hospital has a much longer history and the previous hospital building in St John Street, Manchester, still exists: this was in use from 1867 to 1886.