Manchester Oxford Road railway station

Edit profile
Manchester Oxford Road railway station

Manchester Lines - City Centre and North, (Past, Present and Future)
To Bury

To Rochdale Moston

To Oldham Bowker Vale

Newton Heath

Newton Heath and Moston


Central Park

To Tameside Abraham Moss; Monsall

Clayton Bridge Woodlands Road

Park Queens Road

To Tameside Miles Platting

Edge Lane

Clayton Oldham Road

Sportcity-Velodrome Victoria Station

Holt Town/ Sportcity-Stadium Exchange

To Salford

New Islington

Ardwick Shudehill

Ashburys High Street; Piccadilly Station; Manchester Mayfield

To South Manchester Market Street; Piccadilly Gardens

To Belle Vue; Gorton Moseley Street; Oxford Road

St Peter's Square

To Hyde Road

To Tameside Manchester Central/ Deansgate-Castlefield

Deansgate Liverpool Road

To Salford; Cornbrook



To Eccles

Trafford Bar

Firswood To Trafford; To Altrincham

Manchester Oxford Road Railway Station is a railway station in the city of Manchester, England. The station is at the junction of Whitworth Street West and Oxford Street, on an elevated line between Deansgate and Piccadilly stations. It serves the southern part of Manchester city centre, including the University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University, and is on the most-served bus route in Europe, with up to 140 buses an hour serving various suburbs of south Manchester. It also serves the BBC's Manchester studios and is within walking distance of Manchester's main shopping district. The station has a ticket office, waiting rooms, automatic ticket gates, toilets, a buffet and a newsagent. It stands on a line from Manchester Piccadilly westwards towards Liverpool, Preston and Blackpool. Trains in the eastbound direction go beyond Piccadilly to Crewe, Leeds, Sheffield and other towns across Northern England.

The station opened as Oxford Road on 20 July 1849 by the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway (MSJAR). The station was the headquarters of the MSJAR from opening until 1904. Initially it had two platforms and two sidings, with temporary wooden buildings. To allow for extra trains in connection with the Manchester Art Treasures Exhibition in Trafford in 1857, extra platforms and sidings were built. In 1874 the station was completely rebuilt. The station then had two bay platforms and three through platforms. Further reconstruction took place during 1903-04. From 1931 it was served by the MSJAR's 1500 VDC electric trains to Altrincham. As the station had become dilapidated by the 1950s, and as part of the electrification and modernisation of the Manchester to London line, it was replaced by the current building in 1960 (architects W. R. Headley, Max Glendinning). This was designed in a distinctive style in concrete and wood with curves bringing to mind the Sydney Opera House. It is a grade II listed building. From July 1959 the Altrincham electric trains began terminating at Oxford Road in two new bay platforms, still with 1500V DC electrification. The remaining three platforms were electrified at 25 kV AC from Manchester Piccadilly, one of these being a terminus platform. The whole station was reopened on 12 September 1960. Due to the closure of Manchester Central railway station in 1969, further rebuilding of Oxford Road station took place with one of the bay platforms being taken out of use and a new through platform being built (platform 1) and the others being renumbered accordingly. The track layout was also changed so that there were now four through platforms and one bay platform. In 1971 the whole station became electrified at 25 kV AC with the re-electrification of the line to Altrincham. From this point, local trains from Altrincham started running through to Piccadilly and on to Crewe, and Oxford Road became predominantly a through station, with many fewer trains terminating there. Use of the station increased from May 1988 with the construction of the Windsor Link between Deansgate and Salford Crescent, linking the lines to the north and south of Manchester. This led to further investment in the station, including the installation of computer screens. For years the station's platform buildings were encased in scaffolding (to hold the structure up) and the whole station was in a sorry state: eventually refurbishment was completed in 2004. In 1992 the station's original raison d'etre as the terminus for Altrincham disappeared with the conversion of the Altrincham line stopping service to light rail operation as part of Manchester Metrolink. Oxford Road, once served almost entirely by suburban stopping trains, now has many more longer-distance services as well.

Service pattern
Northern Rail
  • 1tph to Hazel Grove
  • 1tph to Preston
  • 1tph to Southport
  • 1tph to Liverpool Lime Street via Newton-le-Willows
  • 2tph to Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central
  • 2tph to Manchester Airport
First TransPennine Express
  • 1tph to Liverpool Lime Street
  • 1tph to Scarborough
  • 1tph to Blackpool North
  • 1tph to Lancaster, continuing alternately to Barrow-in-Furness and either Glasgow Central or Edinburgh
  • 2tph to Manchester Airport
Arriva Trains Wales
  • 1tph to Llandudno or Holyhead
  • 1tph to Manchester Piccadilly
East Midlands Trains
  • 1tph to Liverpool Lime Street
  • 1tph to Nottingham, with some trains continuing to Norwich
This is reduced on a Sunday, most services operating hourly. There are various other peak services. All eastbound trains (those to Hazel Grove, Scarborough, Nottingham and Manchester Airport) also call at Manchester Piccadilly.

To Chorlton


2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 21 media, uploaded a media file and removed a media
    klcx forecourt of oxford road station 1212904
    about 4 years ago via
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator