Magnolia BridgeEdit profile
The Magnolia Bridge, built in 1930, connects the neighborhoods of Magnolia and Interbay over the filled-in tidelands of Smith Cove. It is one of only three road connections from Magnolia to the rest of Seattle. It carries W. Garfield Street from Magnolia Way W. in the west to the intersection of Elliott and 15th Avenues W. in the east. Having been damaged in the 2001 Nisqually earthquake, it is currently scheduled for replacement.
In 1910, when a bridge was first proposed for this location, Queen Anne Hill and Magnolia were already connected by several trestles across Interbay, each spanning the railway that ran north-south through Interbay. By 1912 a wooden trestle had been built. The wooden trestle was replaced by a concrete structure in 1930, improved in 1957 to provide a grade separation from Elliott Avenue West and, in 1960, renamed as the Magnolia Bridge as a result of community efforts by Magnolia residents.