Lynde Point LightEdit profile
Lynde Point Lighthouse, also known as Saybrook Inner Lighthouse, is a lighthouse in Connecticut, United States, on the west side of the mouth of the Connecticut River on the Long Island Sound, Old Saybrook, ConnecticutHistory
In 1803, the original 35-foot (11 m) wooden tower was built at Lynde Point. However, the tower was too short and instead of raising the old tower a new 65-foot (20 m) brownstone tower was built in 1838. In 1852, a fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the ten lamps and 9-inch (230 mm) reflectors. In 1890, a fifth-order lens, which is still in the tower today, was installed. In 1886, the Saybrook Breakwater Lighthouse was built. Lynde Point then became commonly known as the “Saybrook Inner Light" and Saybrook Breakwater became known as the “Saybrook Outer Light”. Lynde Point Lighthouse was electrified in 1955 and automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1978. In 1990 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Lynde Point is an active aid to navigation and is not open to the public.