Luther Brannon HouseEdit profile
The Luther Brannon House is a stone bungalow structure at 151 Oak Ridge Turnpike in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, where it is one of the few buildings remaining from before World War II.
The house was built in 1941 by Owen Hackworth and just months later was acquired by the U.S. Army for the Manhattan Project. It was one of about 180 existing structures that were spared from demolition after the area was acquired for Manhattan Project production activities. The house is believed to have been used as headquarters for local project operations and living quarters for General Leslie Groves until the Army completed construction of new administration buildings.
After the war, when most other remaining pre-war structures in Oak Ridge were torn down, the house was left standing. As of 1991, it was one of only three pre-World War II houses remaining in Oak Ridge. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to its association with General Groves and the early development of Oak Ridge.