Luis Barragán House and StudioEdit profile
The Luis Barragán House and Studio, located in the Tacubaya suburb of Mexico City, was the residence of architect Luis Barragán in the years following the Second World War. Built in 1947, the 1162 square meter three-story concrete house and garden reflect Barragán's design style during this period. Today the house functions as a museum, though visits are only made by means of guided group tours. The Constituyentes subway station is very close to the house.
The house and studio were built in 1948, and have since become one of the most influential and representative works of contemporary architecture in the world, recognized by UNESCO as one of the 29 World Heritage Sites in Mexico. It is considered a magnum opus in architectural design, and in the world of modern architecture.
The museum (house and studio) is the property of the Jalisco state government and the Fundación de Arquitectura Tapatía Luis Barragán (Luis Barragán Architecture Foundation).Architectural overview
The house is located at General Francisco Ramírez 12 in the Tacubaya suburb of Mexico City. The external façade is in keeping with the low-class neighborhood: it was highly important for Barragán not to change the aspect of a street. The entrance hall is quite small, forming as it were an emotional step before finally encountering the house as Barragán designed it, which in his use of vivid color (as he always did) starts to amaze every visitor with the first corridor, which is a quite vivid pink, with yellow spaces.
One of the most important matters in the house is the light: as Barragán always hated the use of ceiling illumination, the house is lit, if not by natural illumination, then only with small lamps always placed on top of a small table.
The magnificent garden (not as big as it may look, but as Barragán wanted, with the feeling of an enormous place) is a complicated puzzle of natural corridors and trees (one of them is only decorative and not actually alive: the architect really wanted another one and decided to bring one without planting it).
Coordinates: 19°24′39″N 99°11′32″W / 19.41083°N 99.19222°W / 19.41083; -99.19222