Lord Hill's ColumnEdit profile
Coordinates: 52°42′15″N 2°43′54″W / 52.7041°N 2.7318°W / 52.7041; -2.7318
Lord Hill's Column, outside the Shirehall (Shropshire Council's headquarters), is one of the most notable landmarks of the town of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. The tallest Doric column in England, standing at 133 feet 6 inches (40.69m), it commemorates Rowland Hill, 1st Viscount Hill, with a 17-foot-tall statue (5.2 m) standing on the top of the column. The column was built between 1814 and 1816; its diameter is two feet wider than Nelson's Column, and, not including the pedestal, is 13 feet higher.
The architect was Edward Haycock, with modifications mainly to the pedestal by Thomas Harrison. The pedestal is square with a pier of buttress at each angle, on which are placed recumbent lions, worked of Grinshill stone (the same as the column) by John Carline of Shrewsbury. The statue of Lord Hill was designed and executed by Messrs. Coade and Sealy of London, in their artificial stone (Coade stone), modelled by Joseph Panzetta.
The first stone was laid on 27 December 1814 by the Salopian Lodge of Free Masons assisted by deputies from adjoining lodges, on the festival of St. John the Evangelist. The last stone was laid on 18 June 1816, the anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. The total expense was 5,972 pounds, 13 shillings and 2 pence.
The structure once stood at the centre of the crossroads there, but the junction is now set aside from the column. The column also gives its name to a borough ward, which is simply "Column" ward. It is possible to climb within the column using steps to reach the top.
The column has been listed by English Heritage as a Grade II* structure.