Lord and Burnham BuildingEdit profile
The Lord & Burnham Building is located at the corner of Main and Astor Streets in Irvington, New York, United States, right across from the village's train station. It currently houses the village's public library and some apartments.
The site, a prime industrial location due to its proximity to the New York Central Railroad's Water Level Route, was first built on in 1870 when Lord's Horticultural Works, a supplier of conservatories and greenhouses, moved to Irvington from Syracuse to be closer to its customers at the Hudson Valley's many large estates. In 1881 its original building was destroyed by fire and the current one was built to replace it that same year.
The company eventually became Lord & Burnham and grew into one of the village's major employers. It supplied the nearby Lyndhurst estate and the New York Botanical Garden, and expanded into making boilers and heaters. In 1988 it left the village and abandoned the building.
Five years later, the village purchased the building and began working with the state, county and a private developer to restore it. It reopened in 1999, with the library moved into the first floor and the upper levels converted into apartments. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places that same year.