Longwave transmitter Europe 1
The Longwave transmitter Europe 1 is the oldest privately owned radio station in Germany, situated at Felsberg-Berus, Germany. It transmits with a power of 2000 kilowatts a French speaking programme, Europe 1 toward France. It is the largest radio broadcasting transmitter in Germany.

Technical Details
The transmitter uses directional aerials of four guyed, insulated radio masts which are 270, 276, 280, and 282 metres high. Furthermore there is a backup aerial, which consists of two guyed insulated radio masts with a height of 234 metres. The building, in which the transmission devices are stored, has a length of 82 metres, a width of 43 metres, and a height of 16 metres. Its surface area is 2700 square metres and its volume 31000 cubic metres. In front of this building, there is a telecommunication tower, which was used for broadcasting the programme of Telesaar.

History
The longwave transmitter graces its existence to the special state of the Saar territory in the fifties: self-governed, but economically linked to France. It was reintegrated to the Federal Republic of Germany in 1957 after a referendum of the Saar people. The transmitter was built in 1954, broadcasting since January 1, 1955. That's why it is nowadays located inside German borders. In 1959, one of its main masts has been relocated in vertical state . This may be the tallest structure ever relocated without dismantling.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com