London Guarantee BuildingEdit profile
The London Guarantee Building, formerly known as the Stone Container Building, is a historic building located in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. It is known as one of the four 1920s flanks of the Michigan Avenue Bridge (along with the Wrigley Building, Tribune Tower and 333 North Michigan Avenue). It stands on part of the former site of Fort Dearborn. It was designated a Chicago Landmark on April 16, 1996.
In 2001, the building was acquired by Crain Communications Inc. and is now referred to as the Crain Communications Building.
The top of the building resembles the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens, but it is supposedly modelled after the Stockholm Stadshus. It is located in the Michigan–Wacker Historic District. The building stands on the property formerly occupied by the Hoyt Building from 1872 until 1921.
In the 1960s and 1970s, the studios of Chicago's popular WLS (AM) radio were located on the fifth floor of the building.
In the 1980s and 1990s TV show Perfect Strangers, the building's exterior was used as the home of the fictional newspaper Chicago Chronicle.