Littlefield HouseEdit profile
The Littlefield House is an historic home in Austin, Texas on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. The home was built in 1893 for Civil War veteran George Littlefield, who was a successful businessman in the bank and cattle trades and a major benefactor to UT. It was designed using the popular Victorian style at a cost of $50,000. While living in the house, Major Littlefield and his wife Alice made a tremendous number of contributions to the university, including funds for the Littlefield Fountain, the Main Building, and the Littlefield Dormitory. They also developed the Littlefield Building downtown, finished in 1912. When Alice Littlefield died in 1935, she left the home to the university. Today it is used for storage and office space by the Office of Resource Development. The home is located at 24th and Whitis streets. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. George Littlefield had a "Deodar Cedar" ( Cedrus deodara ), or "Himalayan Cedar" imported from the Himalayas and planted on the property. Littlefield even had the soil where the tree was to be placed dug up and replaced with Himalayan soil. Arguably one of the most interesting trees on campus, the approximately 35-foot tree is located on the southwest side of the house, and is readily discernible by its distinctive horizontal layers.