Lincoln Medieval Bishop's PalaceEdit profile
Lincoln Medieval Bishop's Palace is an historic visitor's attraction in the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire. When it was first built, in the late 12th century, it was one of the grandest residential structures in England and the administrative center of the vast Diocese of Lincoln, which stretched from the Humber to the Thames.
The palace was sacked during the Civil War and subsequently abandoned; today it is a ruin, open to the sky on a sloping site between the cathedral and Lincoln Castle and set into a modern garden plan by Mark Anthony Walker, completed in 2001. The palace's most notable surviving feature is the West Hall, built over an undercroft by the Burgundian-born Bishop St Hugh of Lincoln and completed in the 1230s. The range of buildings that included an expanded chapel and the tower gatehouse were built by Bishop William Alnwick, (bishop 1436–1450) in the 1430s.
The historic site is maintained by English Heritage.
Coordinates: 53°14′00″N 0°32′11″W / 53.2333°N 0.5364°W / 53.2333; -0.5364