Limehouse Town Hall
Limehouse Town Hall is a former town hall building on Commercial Road, in Limehouse, in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

History
Limehouse Town Hall was built in 1879, designed by A. & C. Harston, as the vestry hall of the Limehouse District. The building consists of a number of offices, below a 'grand' assembly room. In 1900, the civil parish became a part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stepney. In 1965, this in turn, became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, this then became one of a number of surplus town halls " along with Poplar Town Hall and St George's Town Hall. On 30 July 1909 the Chancellor of the Exchequer David Lloyd George made a polemical speech in the assembly room, attacking the House of Lords for its opposition to his " People's Budget". This speech was the origin of the phrase "To Limehouse", or "Limehousing", which meant an incendiary political speech. The building has seen a variety of uses since, including serving as the National Museum of Labour History; and a brief return to council administration, as the Wapping Neighbourhood Offices. It was given protection as a Grade II listed building in 1973, but was placed on English Heritage's list of buildings at risk in 2003. In October 2006 the building was given a restoration grant by English Heritage, and is in the process of being renovated as a centre for arts and culture, in particular local history projects. The hall currently houses the Limehouse Town Hall Consortium Trust, comprising several groups, such as a Boxing Club, Space Hijackers, Twenteenth Century, Primal Pictures, Stitches in Time, the University of Openness and Creative Week. The building is next to St Anne's Limehouse, a significant Hawksmoor church; and also adjacent to Limehouse Cut, a canal built to provide a short cut from the Lee Navigation to Limehouse Basin. The nearest Docklands Light Railway station is Limehouse.

Building Activity

  • removed a media and updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator