Lime Point Light

Lime Point Lighthouse is a lighthouse in California, United States, on northern side of the Golden Gate Bridge.

History

The lens lantern at Lime Point was hung on the wall of the fog signal building at a height of 20 feet above the water. When the Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937, a fog horn and light were placed at the base of the bridge’s south tower, making the Fort Point Light unnecessary. However, Lime Point Lighthouse was located next to the base of the north tower, and remained an effective position for a light and fog horn. Lime Point was automated by the United States Coast Guard in 1961, and the three-story dwelling and other buildings were torn down, leaving only the fog signal building.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com