Lillian and Amy Goldman Stone Mill (formerly the Lorillard Snuff Mill)Edit profile
The Lillian and Amy Goldman Stone Mill (formerly known as the Lorillard Snuff Mill) was built in 1840. Constructed of fieldstone and brick, the mill is the nation’s oldest standing tobacco factory, and a rich symbol of the Bronx’s long history as a center of commerce and industry. Built on the sloping ground adjacent to the Bronx River, the Goldman Stone Mill is two stories high on the upland side with an extra story on the river side, where there is a stone terrace overlooking the river. For at least 30 years, the mill used water from the Bronx River to grind tobacco into snuff for the P. Lorillard Company. In 1870, the mill ceased operation when the company opened a new factory in New Jersey. In 1884, the City of New York purchased 661 acres of the family property, including the old mill. For a time, it served as the 41st Precinct Police Station and later became a carpentry shop for Bronx Park. In 1915, the Parks Department gave the building to the Botanical Garden, which continued its use as a carpentry shop. In 1954 the Botanical Garden restored the mill for public use. The basement became a restaurant and banquet facility, while the first floor became a meeting room with public restrooms. On the second floor, the Botanical Garden created offices as well as an apartment for visiting scholars.
In order to preserve this irreplaceable piece of American industrial history, the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the building an Individual Landmark in 1966. In 1976, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Structure.
The building was renamed in 2010, and is now known as the Lillian and Amy Goldman Stone Mill. The building recently underwent a massive restoration and reopened in September 2010.