Lewiston Public Library
Lewiston Public Library is a historic site at Park and Pine Streets in Lewiston, Maine. The Colonial Revival library building was constructed in 1902 by Coombs & Gibbs. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The original library located in Lewiston was known as the Manufacturers and Mechanics Library and was housed within the city hall building. In 1902 Andrew Carnegie donated the money for the granite building with the understanding that the city would fund staff, books, and materials for the operation of the library. Granite was acquired from North Jay and Norridgewock to be used for the construction. The vestibule was modeled after the Greek design with columns 18 feet high and 25 inches in circumference. Woodwork of fine oak is found on the fireplace mantels and oak pillars. The addition is of modern design and required a change of the main entrance from Park Street to 200 Lisbon Street. The construction began in the winter of 1996 with most of the construction done by January of 1997. As much as possible of the architecture from the old library was preserved with an original mantelpiece being used as part of the new reference desk. 2005 Additions “The Marsden Hartley Cultural Center, established in 2005, has helped to transform the perception of library for the citizens of our city from that of a passive repository of knowledge to that of a vibrant community center offering a diverse range of cultural programming and resources. The center is named for Lewiston’s native son Marsden Hartley (1877-1943), a renowned artist/poet. Hartley is one of the top American painters of the 20th Century and his works can be viewed in museums around the world. In fond remembrance of his place of birth, Hartley gave one of his early Maine landscapes to the Library, where it now is displayed in our lobby. The main focal point of activity for the Cultural Center is Callahan Hall. Located on the third floor, this former ballroom been elegantly renovated into a multi-use space designed to accommodate a variety of cultural enrichment activities: lectures, films, concerts, coffeehouses, dance programs and more, with many events of an interactive nature. The floor below offers a computer lab, which supports such activities as career exploration for teens and technology tutoring for senior citizens. On the first floor, adjacent to our Circulation Desk, is the Couture Room, which hosts a busy schedule of book discussion groups, meetings and seminars.”