Letterkenny Regional Sports and Leisure ComplexEdit profile
Letterkenny Regional Sports and Leisure Complex is a sports complex located in Letterkenny, County Donegal, Ireland. The complex is located near O'Donnell Park and the total cost of the building of the complex was €22.7 million. An open day for the complex was held on May 18 and 19 2007 and the complex opened to the public on Monday 9 July 2007.Building of the Complex
Construction of the building began in 2002. The complex was meant to be finished construction in January 2007 but was not completed until four months later.Facilities
The Aura Management Company are operators of the new centre. The complex includes the following facilities:
- 25m 6 lane swimming pool
- 2500 seater Sports hall
- Danny McDaid athletic track
- Soccer pitch
- Children’s play area
- Skate park
The sports complex caters for the following activities:
- Indoor soccer
- Volley Ball
- The opening of the new leisure complex led to much controversy as many local councillors believed the old leisure centre located on the High Road should be closed to facilitate for the building of a new courthouse. Local residents and businessmen thought differently and staged protests against the closing of the centre. A decision was made, by local councillors, on May 14, 2007 to close the old leisure centre with the deciding vote coming from Cllr. Ciaran Brogan.
- On October 19, 2007 management of the leisure centre confirmed the pool and health suite at the facility was to close temporarily with immediate effect due to work being carried out to correct tiles around the pool, which were deemed to be to slippy. The centre re-opened on a week later.
The seating arrangements of the theatre area was criticised by many Riverdance attendants who complained that they could not see the show.Shows
- Riverdance performed in the Sports Complex on May 24 and 25 2007, and marked the official opening of the centre. Around 12,000 people attended. Due to the success of these performances Riverdance is to return to the complex, for five shows from Thursday 22nd through to Sunday 25 May 2008.
- Daniel O'Donnell kicked off his Irish summer tour with a show at the Complex on July 14, 2007. He was be joined by his touring partner Mary Duff. The concert was filmed as a Daniel television special and also his forthcoming DVD.
- RTE's Tubridy Tonight broadcast from the complex on December 15, 2007 for his annual Christmas show. Tickets for the show were on huge demand. Tubridy said of his travel North-West, “It’s been years since I’ve been in Donegal for RTÉ and I’m really looking forward to going back.” Guests on the show were supermodel Janice Dickinson, Derry boxer John Duddy, Italia 90 trio Packie Bonner, Andy Townsend and John Aldridge and The X Factor winner Shane Ward. Music on the night was provided by Phil Coulter, Paul Brady and Eleanor McEvoy who sang Fairytale of New York.
- Hunky Dorys Fight Night came to the complex on March 29, 2008. Undefeated Paul McCloskey took on former World Champion Cesar Bazan. McCloskey beat Bezan over 10 rounds by 100 to 90 points. The first bout was at 6.30pm and McCloskey came into the ring at 9.30pm. The match was broadcast on RTÉ.