Leopold Hotel
The Leopold in Bellingham, Washington was built in 1889 and originally named the Byron Hotel after its owner Captain H.C. Byron. Byron owned the hotel until 1910 when Leopold F. Schmidt purchased the Byron for $100,000. The hotels name was soon changed to The Hotel Leopold as a token of appreciation by the hotels investors. When Schmidt originally purchased the hotel, it only held 93 rooms. In later years, the hotel increased its accommodations to 500 rooms. In the 1980's, The Leopold became a retirement living community and underwent a significant renovation. The Leopold is currently home to approximately 100 retirement-age residents. The Leopold was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 19, 1982