Leopold BuildingsEdit profile
Leopold Buildings is a well-known historic tenement block of flats in Bethnal Green in the East End of London, England.
The flats were built in 1872 by The Improved Industrial Dwellings Company, the philanthropic Model dwellings company founded and chaired by Sir Sydney Waterlow. It was built on land leased by Angela Burdett-Coutts - then the richest woman in Britain, nicknamed 'The Queen of the Poor'.
The buildings are located on Columbia Road, near the famous Columbia Road Market, which is in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
The buildings were Grade II listed by English Heritage in 1994. Following years of neglect, the block was completely refurbished in a £3.5 million project in 1997 by the Floyd Slaski practice for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets and Ujima Housing Association, in conjunction with English Heritage.