Leland castle

Leland Castle (also known as Castle View) is a 19th century Gothic revival castle located on the campus of the College of New Rochelle in New Rochelle, New York. The castle was originally the residence of Simeon Leland, a wealthy New York City hotel proprietor. Mr. Leland began to assemble an estate as early as 1848, and in 1855 began the erection of a palatial mansion of sixty rooms. The home was designed by New York City architect William Thomas Beers. A north and south wing were added to the castle in 1899 and 1902 respectively.

The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and the New York State Register in 1980.

History

After Simeon Leland died in 1872, Mrs. Leland continued to live in the castle until 1880. In that year the castle's new owner, the Manhattan Life Insurance Company, leased the castle as a clubhouse for the Queens County Hunt Club. It later became a girls' school, and after a fire in 1897 it was sold to the Ursuline Sisters.

The castle currently houses the administrative offices of the College of New Rochelle and the college's Castle Art Gallery.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com