Leicester CastleEdit profile
Leicester Castle is located in Leicester, England. The complex is situated in the west of the city centre, between Saint Nicholas Circle to the north and De Montfort University to the south. The Castle complex contains:
- Castle Gardens, a set of gardens along the bank of the canal, (there are official British Waterways secure overnight moorings for visiting boaters).
- The church of St Mary de Castro, the oldest part of which dates to the 12th century, and still in use as a Church of England parish church
- The Great Hall, built in about 1150 by Robert de Bossu, 2nd Earl of Leicester. It was extensively rebuilt and the roof structure replaced in about 1523. The brick frontage dates from 1695. It was used as a law court from the earliest times until 1992.
- ' John of Gaunt's Cellar' (erroneously called a dungeon)
- The remains of the castle itself
- Castle Yard, the open area between the Great Hall and St Mary de Castro, which was used for public executions. A nearby plaque records that John Wesley addressed "a great crowd" here in 1770.