Laxey Wheel
The Laxey Wheel (also known as Lady Isabella) is a large waterwheel built in the village of Laxey in the Isle of Man. Designed by Robert Casement, it has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.83 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute.

History
It was built in 1854 to pump water from the mineshafts and named "Lady Isabella" after the wife of Lieutenant Governor Charles Hope who was the island's governor at that time. The Laxey Wheel is the largest working waterwheel in the world. The wheel was used to pump water from the Glen Mooar part of the ‘Great Laxey Mines’ industrial complex. The 150th anniversary of the Lady Isabella was celebrated by the people of Laxey with a grand Fayre on Saturday 24 September 2004. It is currently maintained by Manx National Heritage as part of the Great Laxey Wheel & Mines Trail. The Wheel features today on the reverse side of the £20 notes issued by the Isle of Man Government.

Technical details
The wheel is water-powered since the Isle of Man does not have a supply of coal but does have an abundance of water. Water from the surrounding area, including the local river, is collected in a cistern which is above the level of the top of the wheel. A closed pipe connects the cistern to the top of the wheel; thus the water flows up the tower without problem. The water falls from the pipe into the buckets (formed from wooden slats on the circumference) and makes the wheel rotate in what is described as the 'reverse' direction. The crank has a throw of 4 feet (1.22 m) and connects to a counterweight and to a very long rod. This rod runs along the rod viaduct to the pumping shaft where the 8 feet (2.44 m) stroke is converted by T-rockers into a pumping action. Most of the wheel and rod is made of wood; however, key mechanical parts are metal to provide tension and bearing surfaces. The rod has attached wheels at intervals to permit the stroke's motion with minimal friction.

Dimensions
  • Diameter, 72ft 6in.
  • Circumference, 210ft 6in.
  • Width, 6ft.
  • Delivery, 250 imperial gallons (1,100 l) of water a minute from the Laxey mines some 200 yards (180 m) away and 1,500 feet (460 m) below ground
The wheel still operates but does not pump water.

The mine
The mine employed over 600 miners at its peak producing lead, copper, silver and zinc until it closed in 1929. In 1965 the Manx Government bought the wheel and site. The wheel was restored and, in 1989, it was put under the control of Manx National Heritage.

Musical Wheel
The wheel has a piece of music dedicated to it; penned by the late Stuart Slack it is entitled The Laxey Wheel.
  • A video of the turning wheel and Stuart Slack's Laxey Wheel song played by the Stationary Willberries (Manx Folk Band lic. C. Slack)


Building Activity

  • Kiril Pavlov
    Kiril Pavlov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com