Laurier HouseEdit profile
Laurier House is a National Historic Site in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, located at 335 Laurier Ave. East (in the Sandy Hill district). It was formerly the residence of two Canadian Prime Ministers, Sir Wilfrid Laurier and William Lyon Mackenzie King. The house was built in 1878, but had significant later alterations. Laurier House exhibits elements of the Italianate manner as well as traces of Second Empire style. Prime Minister Laurier lived there from 1897 to 1919, and Prime Minister King from 1923 to 1950. King willed the house to the people of Canada upon his death. Many distinguished guests from abroad were received at this house, such as King George VI, Sir Winston Churchill, Charles de Gaulle, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and others. It is now owned by Parks Canada, which operates it as a public museum. A popular summer attraction since 2003 is the Summer Heritage Theatre Series performed by the Parks Canada Players on the veranda of this historic residence.