The Larkin House, located at 464 Calle Principale, Monterey, California was built in 1835 by Thomas O. Larkin. It is claimed that the house was the first two story house in all of California, and that it was the first house with a fireplace in Monterey. The design combined Spanish Colonial building methods with New England architectural features and originated the popular Monterey Colonial style of architecture. The Larkin House is a National Historic Landmark.History
In 1832 Thomas O. Larkin joined his half brother John B.R. Cooper in business. Larkin became the most influential American in Monterey, Alta California. He served as the only United States consul to Mexico in Monterey. Monterey expanded beyond the old Spanish Presidio walls. Many leading citizens built their large houses using white wash, sun dried adobe bricks.
the Larkin House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960 and is part of the larger Monterey State Historic Park which is itself designated a National Historic Landmark District.