Langley Covered BridgeEdit profile
Langley Covered Bridge is the longest remaining wooden covered bridge in the state of Michigan, and is located several miles north of Centreville, Michigan, the seat of St. Joseph County. Many of the covered bridges in Michigan and other states no longer exist, and therefore the structure is an historic tourist attraction frequented by visitors to St. Joseph County. The bridge is named for Thomas W. Langley and family, pioneers who helped establish the village of Centreville in the mid-19th century. In fact, Langley was the very first settler in Centreville. The red-paneled bridge, along with a causeway just to its north that forms part of Covered Bridge Road, spans the St. Joseph River. The bridge was constructed in 1887 by nearby Parkville builder Pierce Bodmer. It does this just above what is called the Sturgis Dam (although the city of Sturgis, Michigan is located nowhere near this location). The dam is adjacent to a county recreation area called Covered Bridge Park; just across the river within sight of the bridge is Pahl Point Park, which is in fact closer to the bridge itself. The bridge has been a very important symbol for the village of Centreville for almost 100 years; in fact, the village's annual summer festival is called Covered Bridge Days.