Landenberg BridgeEdit profile
The Landenberg Bridge is a truss bridge carrying Landenberg Road across the White Clay Creek in Landenberg, Pennsylvania.
The bridge was originally built by the Schuylkill Bridge Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania in 1899, using the stone abutments from an earlier (1871) bridge. The 1899 bridge was a Pratt pony truss design, with an unusual cantilevered sidewalk along the north side of the bridge.
Because of its architectural features, the Landenberg Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. However, a PennDOT inspection in the summer of 1999 found that the bridge had undergone serious structural deterioration, and it has been closed to traffic since. Due to local opposition to widening the bridge, replacement did not begin until 2009, after a compromise was reached to reuse elements of the old bridge in the replacement span. Replacement of the bridge is now underway. The bridge was removed from the National Register of Historic Places on March 23, 2010. The new span, which is a simple concrete beam bridge, incorporated the original span's green trusses for aesthetic purposes and reopened to traffic on July 25, 2010.