Lancaster and Waumbek ApartmentsEdit profile
The Lancaster and Waumbek Apartments were small apartment buildings located at 227-29 and 237-39 East Palmer in Detroit, Michigan. The apartments were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. They were demolished in November 2005.Description
The Lancaster and Waumbek Apartments were two small three-story apartment buildings of similar design located side-by-side on East Palmer. Each building was constructed of brick trimmed with stone, and designed in a Tudor Revival style, although with slightly different detailing on the facade. The facades featured projecting bays with a small light well in the middle. On the interior, each floor was divided into two apartments of similar layout, featuring decorative plaster and woodwork.Significance
The two structures were well-designed examples of turn-of-the-century apartment houses in Detroit. They were designed by the prolific Almon Clother Varney, a notable architect of apartment buildings in early 20th century Detroit. These two buildings were once owned by one of Michigan's first suffragists, Sarah A. Sampson, who lived in the Lancaster with her husband from 1906 to 1919.