Lafitte's Blacksmith ShopEdit profile
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is a site in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop is a tavern located on the corner of Bourbon Street and St. Philip Street. The tavern's building, built sometime before 1772, is one of the older still standing structures in New Orleans (the Ursuline Convent, for example, is older) and has been called the oldest continually occupied bar in the United States. According to legend the structure was once owned by the pirate Jean Lafitte, though as with many things involving Lafitte, no documentation of this exists.
Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop had been a gay bar for some time before a 1953 change in management. The ousted patrons founded a new bar up the street, Cafe Lafitte In Exile, which claims to be the oldest gay bar in the country.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.