Knowsley Road
Knowsley Road was a stadium located in Eccleston, St Helens, Merseyside. It was the home of St Helens RLFC from 1890 until its closure in 2010. St Helens Town FC played their home fixtures at Knowsley Road from 2002 until 2010. For a period, the venue also hosted Liverpool FC Reserves. The Stadium is currently being demolished for a new housing development called Cunningham Grange, named after club legend Keiron Cunningham

The Stadium
Knowsley Road consists of four stands of open terracing and one seated stand called the Hattons family stand.

The Family Stand
The Family Stand was the only section of the stadium which had a seated area, although there was still areas for standing supporters. The players entered the field from a gateway under the stand and the dugout was also situated in the Family Stand. The Family Stand contained an area for the media such as local radio stations. It was built after the second world war, funded by local businesses. The actual design of the stand means that it only runs for two thirds of that side of the pitch. When the Main Stand was built, it provided a new changing room facility and gymnasium for the players, replacing the smaller, outdated ones situated at the old Pavilion end of the ground next to the scoreboard. Players would come out of the new tunnel before kick off to a centralised view of the stadium, facing the Popular Stand. When the Main Stand was constructed, it created an overhang at the top of the stand. This was due to the fact that the old Eccleston Railway ran below the site of the new stand, linking the Triplex (Pilkington) factory to the town centre. The railway has long gone now, and replaced by the club carpark.

The Popular Stand
The Popular Stand was an all standing section of the ground and is the most popular stand for home supporters. The stand was built in the 1960s at a cost of over £30,000 at the time. It spreads across the full length of the pitch, offering some of the best views and arguably one of the best atmospheres anywhere across the ground. It holds the famous Scaff - the gantry in which the press gather including Sky Sports. When St.Helens are on Television, the Popular side regularly are heard singing and chanting due to the small distance between the cameras and the supporters.

Dunriding Lane End
The Dunriding Lane End was the only stand without a roof. It contained 9 corporate boxes, as well as the stadium restaurant and the official store. Prior to being moved to the Family Stand, the changing rooms were situated at the Dunriding Lane End and players would enter from a tunnel. The dunriding Land end of the ground was known as the 'boys pen' - a spot where all the 'die-hard' fans congregated during the post war years of the stadium. During the 1970s and 1980s, the club became aware of the need for corporate facilities in line with other clubs and the decision was made to build a bar, restaurant and executive boxes for the fans, and to give them a new and luxurious match day experience.

The Eddington End
The Eddington End is a typical Kop . It was the second biggest stand overall at the ground, and was boasted for being the tallest, with the best views of the pitch. In the 1960s, a roof was placed on the Eddington End of the ground. The Eddington End is generally known as the 'away end' as it was where most away fans congregated on match days. It became a famous haunt for Local derby chanting between arch rivals Wigan Warriors.

St Helens RFC moved to Knowsley Road in 1890, defeating Manchester Rangers in their first match. The stadium pre-dated the birth of the Northern Union (which would later become rugby league) by five years. Having been formed in 1873, St Helens RFC were a part of rugby union when they moved into Knowsley Road. The stadium changed in appearance very little in its 120 years. Lord Derby open the new Pavilion on 26 Dec 1920 at a match against Wigan. A ground record 35,695 fans turn up to watch Saints play Wigan on 26 December 1945. In January 1950, the training pitch was laid down. In February 1951, the newly-completed Eccleston Kop covered enclosure was opened and was named after Supporters Club Secretary George Eddington. In August 1958, the club's new grandstand is opened by Sir Harry Pilkington. The structure cost £32,000 and could seat 2,400. In September 1961, new metal goal posts replaced the wooden originals after storm damage. The new popular side enclosure is erected in 1962. The old wooden structure that it replaced was given to Liverpool City for their ground at Knotty Ash. Saints' new floodlighting system opened by Sir Harry Pilkington on Jan 27 1965. Bar and restaurant complex was opened at Dunriding Lane end of the Knowsley Road Stadium in 1973. Players dug outs are moved from the Main stand to the popular side in 1983. In September 1989, work starts on nine Executive Boxes and an electronic scoreboard at the Dunriding Lane end. In 2006, Knowsley Road was renovated slightly. On the club's new sponsorship deal with Earth Money, the stadium got new signs, new dugouts were installed, as were the toilet facilities which had been long complained about by supporters. In 2006, Knowsley Road was approved as an International Test venue after safety and capacity improvements. It subsequently hosted an international test fixture in 2006 between Great Britain and New Zealand, which Great Britain won. In June 2007, club Chairman Eamonn McManus announced plans for a new 18,000 capacity stadium, with a Tesco store and plaza with 2000 car parking spaces for the 2011 Super League Season. These plans were approved by local councillors in May 2008. Plans were put on hold and building work did not start on time. Knowsley Road was closed at the end of the 2010 Super League Season and St Helens must play their home games at Widnes Vikings' Stobart Stadium for the 2011 Super League Season. The last first team match at Knowsley Road was the St Helens vs Huddersfield Giants game, a play-off semi-final on the September 24, 2010. St. Helens won 42-22, the final try on the ground being scored by retiring club captain Keiron Cunningham.

Stadium Records
  • The attendance record at Knowsley Road is 35,695 set on December 26, 1949 for a game between St Helens and Wigan .
  • The attendance record for a Super League match is 18,098 in 1996 for a game between St Helens and Warrington.