King's School LibraryEdit profile
The Masterplan identified the 1880’s ‘School House’ as the location for the new library, central within the school grounds and capable of adaptation. A 100 reader position were required with careers, periodicals and full IT throughout.
The Library is spread over two floors of a large 19th century building, carving large spaces from within the existing building. A new lightwell and “Long Gallery” route give access and a strong identity and link two main quadrangles. It provides a facility of 850m2 with full IT provision and one hundred reader stations. Archive, exhibition, careers, digital information screens and offices are included. Flexibility is built into the design in order that it can operate for different user groups, open for general access, enclosed for group working and mixed mode for exhibition and research. A specially designed natural ventilation strategy and excellent levels of daylighting help to ensure a highly energy-efficient
This is the sixth contract to be carried out for the school which is the centre piece for the whole school re-development.
"a refreshing and confident remodelling... a building flooded with natural light, full of innovative features yet modest in its external impact on the surroundings’’
As quoted by City of Worcester panel of assessors.
RIBA Award 2008
Wood Award 2007
Wood Award for Innovation 2007
City of Worcester Award 2006