King Edward VII SchoolEdit profile
Coordinates: 53°22′34″N 1°29′45″W / 53.3762°N 1.4957°W / 53.3762; -1.4957
King Edward VII School (KES) is a secondary school and language college located in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. KES, named after the reigning monarch, was formed in 1905 when Wesley College was merged with Sheffield Royal Grammar School (SRGS) on the site of the former on Glossop Road. The former buildings of Wesley College, now King Edward VII Upper School, were Grade II* listed in 1973.
The School supported a Junior School until the advent of the 11-plus examination entry that was a consequence of the Education Act 1944. The last boys left the Junior School in 1947 and the 1948 entry was the first entirely from the 11 plus examination. The School has been particularly successful in preparing boys for entry to the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge. In particular, many boys went to the Queen's College, Oxford as the School was one of 20 Schools in Yorkshire, Westmorland and Cumberland that were eligible for the Hastings Scholarships, which were large in number, at that College. The last 11-plus examination entry was in 1968 and the School became a co-educational Comprehensive School in September 1969. Girls were admitted in 1969 to Crosspool Secondary Modern School which became the Lower School for King Edward VII School. In 2005, the school celebrated its 100th anniversary.The school today
The school is described in the 2006 OFSTED report of 13 September 2006 as a mixed Community Secondary School (11–19). The school has 1,678 students in all, 524 of whom are in the 6th form.
Of the 6th form roughly 50% originate from the Lower School, the remainder coming from other schools in the Sheffield region (many of which are 11–16).
The Chair of Governors is Ms C Leary and the Headteacher is Mrs Beverley Jackson.
The Upper School is currently being refurbished, with the addion of a sports hall and science block, as part of the BSF programme.Headteachers of King Edward VII School
- 1905–1926 J. H. Hichens MA, LLD (Hons)
- 1926–1928 S. R. K. Gurner, MC, MA
- 1928–1938 R. B. Graham, MA
- 1938–1950 A. W. Barton, MA, PhD
- 1950–1965 N. L. Clapton, MA
- 1966–1988 R. Sharrock, MSc
- 1988–2008 M. H. A. Lewis, MA
- 2008–present Mrs B Jackson, MA
See List of Old Edwardians (Sheffield) and also Category:People educated at King Edward VII School, Sheffield.Notable staff of King Edward VII School
- Horace Brearley, 1937–46 (father of Mike Brearley, England cricketer)
- E F Watling, 1924–60, Classics master and translator of Sophocles
- Cornwell, John (2005). King Ted's. King Edward VII School, Sheffield. ISBN 0-9526484-1-5 .
- Various (1995). Tha'll never gerr in theer.... King Edward VII School, Sheffield. ISBN 0-9526484-0-7.
- MacBeth, George (1987). A Child of the War. Jonathan Cape Ltd. ISBN 0-224-02436-1.