Killerton is an 18th-century house in Broadclyst, Exeter, Devon, England, which, with its hillside garden and estate, has been owned by the National Trust since 1944 and is open to the public. The estate covers some 25 square kilometres (6100 acres). Included in the Estate is a steep wooded hillside with the remains of an Iron Age Hill fort on top of it, also known as Dolbury which has also yielded evidence of Roman occupation, thought to be a possible fort or marching camp within the Hill fort. Built for the Acland family in 1778, the National Trust displays the house as a comfortable home. On display in the house is a collection of 18th- to 20th-century costumes, originally known as the Paulise de Bush collection, shown in period rooms. The chapel was built in 1738 to the designs of Charles Robert Cockerell. The garden was created in the 1770s by John Veitch, one of the leading landscape designers of the time. It features rhododendrons, magnolias, herbaceous borders and rare trees, as well as an ice house and early 19th-century summer house. The surrounding parkland and woods offer a number of circular walks. Killerton was given to the National Trust by British politician Sir Richard Acland.