Kilbirnie Auld Kirk is a Church of Scotland congregation on Dalry Road (at Kirkland Road), Kilbirnie, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Although the building dates back to the 15th century, the present congregation was formed in 1978 by the amalgamation of Glengarnock Parish Church and the The Barony Church.

Previously known as "The Barony Church", after the barony that had been obtained by John Craufurd of Kilbirnie in 1641, the church is constructed on the site of a 6th-century monastic cell. The monk is believed to have been either Saint Brendan of Clonfert, renowned for his legendary travels, or Saint Birinus, Bishop of Dorchester, who was thought to have limited his missionary work to Wessex. The town of Kilbirnie derives its name from the church; the celtic Cil (pronounced Kil) signifying a church, suffixed by the name of the saint. "Auld Kirk" in Scots simply means Old Church.

The original nave dates from 1470, with a two-stage bell tower added twenty years later. Aisles were added in 1597 for the Cunninghames of Glengarnock and in 1642 for the Crawfords. A transept and new entrance front were added in 1903-05. The church has some magnificent fittings, pride of place going to the elaborately detailed Crawford Loft of circa 1705, and to the 17th century sounding board above the pulpit. Many of the windows have been decorated in stained glass. "Kilbirnie Auld Kirk and Cemetery Walls" are a category 'A' listed historic building.

Building Activity

  • updated and removed 4 media
    about 5 years ago via